Odds and ends

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Nannan's Nanny

While delving through my slides, scanning some to put on a disk, I came across these two gems. Susan, (the name Nannan had not yet been coined), heard that goat's milk was very nutritious. So she decided to get herself a nanny, (goat). Here it is, tethered to a stake in the pasture. The problem was, she didn't know how to milk it. So she invited me over to give her a few pointers.


Now, I had no experience milking goats, although I had milked a lot of cows while growing up on a farm. A job we often referred to as "pulling tits". (never once, in my years on the farm, did I hear a farmer refer to those things as "teats). But I thought the principle must be the same so I agreed. Unlike milking a cow, which is done from the side, a goat is attacked from the rear. As I leaned over to do the job, I remarked to Susan, "I never thought I'd ever stoop to this".

Unfortunately, the goat project didn't pan out. Apparently the kids were not enamored with the taste of goat's milk. So poor Nanny lost her job. However, during her short stay, she aroused quite a bit of interest, as shown by her admirers here.

3 comments:

NanNan said...

Ha, hahahaha---- those were my hippie days,, into all things natural!!!! Thanks for the lesson in pulling tits!!!!! It's not as simple as one might think--and Josie the goat was getting quite bloated--- what an experience!! Couldn't even fool toddlers by using goat's milk for yogurt, pudding, etc.--- had a fridgefull of stinky goat's milk,, -- finally gave her back to the person I had bought her from-- may have even paid him to take her back!!!! Couldn't go anywhere that summer---the goat had to be milked!!!

Tuffysmom said...

Oh man, I remember that goat! I remember the whole episode..hahahaha.
Nannan tried to pawn some of that goat's milk off on me...but the kids and I gracefully declined...hahahahahaha.

Mike said...

Hmmm... Unfortunately, my memories of that time are pretty murky at best.. But I must say that I have always had a subconcious aversion to goat's milk when I pass by it at the grocery store! (yes you can get it here)

Followers