Odds and ends

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Queen, by Rolf


When I saw the television listing, The Queen, by Rolf, I decided to check it out. I had a hunch it was by Rolf Harris, the Australian artist and entertaineer, famous for his "Tie me Kangaroo Down, Sport" song. Sure enough it was. It showed the whole process of the painting, including the two sittings by the queen. It was interesting to see her in such an informal setting, with quite a lot of chatting between the two as he worked. He even selected the dress she was to wear for the painting. What a talent he has.

The portrait, commissioned to mark the monarch's 80th birthday, is said to be an "impressionistic", rather than a "photographic", representation.

When he started by daubing big random brush strokes of colour on the canvas, it didn't look like anything. and it was very interesting to watch as the picture came to life.

The program showed the unveiling of the finished portrait at Buckingham Palace. I'm glad I watched it.

7 comments:

NanNan said...

I didn't realize Rolf was multi-talented- a better artist than a singer, and fashion expert too???

Tuffysmom said...

I saw that that program was going to be on, but I had no idea it would be so interesting. And I had no idea Rolf Harris was an artist. Actually the painting is excellent..it really doesn't look all that impressionistic.

Traveling Man said...

Many years ago I saw Rolf Harris on TV. He painted a lovely landscape, but when he started he just seemed to be putting big wide strokes at random on a big canvas. As he went on the jumble of brush strokes came to life, with a realistic rail fence. I forget the rest of the picture, but it was really good. He still looks young.

NanNan said...

He must have a good plastic surgeon, not the one Antonio Bandero used---

Tuffysmom said...

Hey...Jim is Antonio Banderas to me..except..Jim's eyes are blue..and Antonio's are a deep, dark, sexy brown.
Anyhoo..no more talk about Antonio...he's too young for me...hahahahhahahahhahaha.

NanNan said...

Time to refresh the view-

NanNan said...

DOWN WITH THE QUEEN- BANISH THE MONARCHY- ARE YOU READING THIS- I'LL THREATEN YOU WITH PICTURES OF TRUDEAU----

Followers